Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Me? Offended?!

I'll be the first to admit: it takes a lot to offend me.

My humor is a bit off-color and I have a wide acceptance of what kind of comedy material makes me laugh. I don't shy away from the "blue" stuff. As long as there's an element to it that makes it laugh-out loud funny, something smart or clever or worth the shock value.

But tonight I watched a television show and I felt like I had gone back in time about 50 years. It's a new show on ABC that debuted in a special timeslot, following the harmless Dancing with the Stars. It's called Show Me the Money and is a gameshow. (No, this is not the offensive part.) It stars Williams Shatner as host. (This isn't it either.) And it's a cross between Deal or No Deal, the Laugh-In go-go dance segments, The Benny Hill Show and Sabado Gigante. (Bingo!)


I couldn't believe the audicity of the producers to just showcase shaking and shimmying dancers named Bambi or Fawn (or similar) in front of the camera with no real point but to reveal the dollar figures while doing a special dance style as barked by host Shatner. Okay, granted there's a little Vanna White quality but she's managed to mastermind her own empire off of her popularity for being pointless, so that's something. I felt dirty after watching this new show, and frankly, I couldn't even get past the first fifteen minutes.

Did you see this mess of a show and find it as sexist, lame and pointless as me?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home