Friday, September 21, 2007

New Logo Is Lacking

Is it me or does this remind you of a toothpaste logo?

The baseball diamond reminds me of a big pointy tooth, the light blue reminds me of a minty gel and the sparkle? Well, it's practically begging for me to roll my tongue over my teeth and exclaim, "It's a great feeling!"

I just don't get the new Tampa Bay Devil Rays logo. Granted, the awesome green of the ghost of Rays logo past is reminiscent of the USF Bulls, so if you're trying to create an easily recognizable presence in town, well, you're just not going to do it with green. I like it, but will admit when I'd see the color, I'd usually think Oakland A's.


Then there was the really old logo of bright greens and yellows and purples, which I must say that I liked the most. Call it the lite brite fan in me, but I loved it fresh, vivid take on an old sport. Others, I think, viewed it as a little TOO vivid.

In Tampa, if someone's wearing a red t-shirt and you only see him from behind, there's a pretty good chance when he turns around it will be a Bucs shirt. Similarly, the rich royal blue of the Lightning is fairly distinctive but hunter green? Not necessarily a Rays fan especially with the way they play, how Yankee-wacky these nuts are (boo!) and how good the Bulls are playing lately.

Still... is this new logo really the best they could do?

I just don't like it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home