Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Hooray For Hollywood's Big Morning

Today, the official Oscar nominees were announced and as always, Larry and I made our predictions beforehand and taped this morning's ceremonial announcement of the 2008 Oscar nominations.

Of course, the real question of the day is will there even be an Oscars telecast this year? Sigh. Sure hope so. I look forward to this thing all year. And best of all, the Oscar run before it.

I've been going on Oscar Runs since college. I think I was 19 when it all started. Always loving to express my opinion, I thought 'wouldn't it be awesome if I could express an educated one?'
I'd grown up memorizing Oscar winners as a kid in middle school and high school. It would make sense that this fascination with Hollywood and its big night of back-patting would stick with me well into my thirties. So how did we do with our predictions this year? Not too badly. I beat Larry with my initial guesses 22 to 21 out of 30 nominations. Pretty good, I guess.

No real surprises if you ask me. Okay, maybe I was a little surprised that after so many early raves about Waitress last year, that the lead would have been nominated, but I think Juno has stolen away its chance to be this year's Little Miss Sunshine. And we all know that in the Oscars, you can only have one light, pleasant comedy amid a sea of downers... but no real surprises otherwise. Daniel Day-Lewis, the chick from La Vie En Rose, Hal Holbrook, Cate Blanchette x 2 (yea! I like her!) I figured on most of these. Probably the biggest shock is how much the Academy spread out the nominees across films - 19 in all! And we haven't seen a damn thing. Yikes.

So now the real fun begins --- how to tackle 19 movies in less than a month. Oy. But that's okay, I'm up for it.

What did you think of this year's round-up?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home