Saturday, January 26, 2008

The Oscar Run Begins...

Today we officially started OSCAR RUN '08 (sound the horns here!)

And what better way to do so than with two films with oodles of nominations and best of all, two that we actually look forward to seeing...

Michael Clayton and No Country for Old Men.

I was impressed with both of them. For me, Michael Clayton started off slowly and took some time to build interest and anticipation for the viewer. But once it got rolling, I couldn't wait to see what would happen next. Tom Wilkinson, up for best supporting actor, is phenomenal in the role of Arthur - a seemingly crazy, delusional man with a big tale to tell.

As the story unfolds, we find ourselves enthralled with Michael Clayton's mission which he reluctantly accepts...and I love how flawed a character Michael Clayton is. It really lends some truth to the performance. George Clooney is terrific as always in a role that fits him like a glove. I have a feeling that he will be passed over for a louder, more boisterous performance (such as Daniel Day Lewis - from what I've heard) because Clooney knows how to be that everyman so naturally, he makes it look so easy, much the same way Paul Newman did for years. At least George nabbed a supporting nod early on, unlike Paul who was awarded years later for a role that wasn't even worthy of nomination let alone a win...The Color of Money, for those of you movie buffs out there.


No Country for Old Men is a tale of decisions. What would you do? What should he have done? Josh Brolin is a man who makes a decision and that decision maps out the path of much of the movie. Tommy Lee Jones must deal with consequences. And Javier Bardem is the man carving out consequences all over the place!

All of the performances are terrific, but the attention Bardem is getting is truly warranted. He's haunting, mesmerizing and absolutely unlike anything we've ever seen in a movie before. You will not and cannot forget his performance and for that, as much as I loved Wilkinson and may enjoy the other three supporting actors, Bardem will be awarded the best support award. Mark my word. This is an unforgettable performance, plain and simple.

I liked the quirky nature of the movie at times. It reminded me of Fargo (another Coen brothers film and in my mind, a masterpiece!) I can't say that I enjoyed this as much as Fargo, but I do get the allure of the picture with Academy members. It's got its own pace and feel, unlike other films and the bizarre banter between sheriff and deputy had me in stitches much of the time yet Bardem's turn had me shrieking in various parts of the picture. (And let me tell you that I wasn't alone in my shrieks in the theater!)

Overall, both movies are well worth the price of admission and make a wonderful start to this year's run...

Eight nominations and 2 films down. 22 nominees and 17 more movies to go!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home