Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Strange News

The story has been everywhere and though he wasn't my favorite actor currently, I have always enjoyed his work - even if I didn't like all of his movies.

Heath Ledger was found dead in his apartment yesterday - apparently drug related, but possibly an accidental overdose from prescriptions.


Why am I bummed out as much as I am? Maybe it's because I always felt like he didn't get much attention in movies where other actors had the spotlight. He was terrific as Billy Bob Thornton's son in Monster's Ball. I loved him in Mel Gibson's The Patriot. I have a soft spot for 10 Things I Hate about You but it is mainly a Julia Stiles vehicle. And of course, A King's Tale really got him noticed but didn't really showcase him as much as the kooky ensemble, particularly Paul Bettany who for many scenes, stole the show.

But it was Brokeback Mountain that got people talking about him though he shared the attention with Jake Gyllenhaal. I only wish I liked that movie. My disdain for the movie has nothing to do with the subject matter and a gay relationship. I simply didn't believe in the love story - it seemed poorly developed and for me, made the story less realistic and gritty and more forced. But hey, that's just me. His performance wasn't bad (better than Gyllenhaal in my estimations).


I have a feeling I'm going to be completely stunned by his Joker portrayal in the next Batman installment. But man, it's going to be spooky watching him in that. Like watching The Crow right after Brandon Lee's accidental gun death.

R.I.P, Heath. They're going to be talking about you for a while - good and bad and mainly speculative. But of all things, you were a really promising actor. It's just too bad.

1 Comments:

At 12:34 PM, Blogger squeekandbud said...

I agree...It bites. He was really talented, and a good bloke all around. I feel so sad for his daughter. Losing your father at so young an age as Matilda, it can lead to a lot of problems (I faced similar issues).

He lit up the screen, and added spark to peoples lives. Movies almost make us think you know an actor. I still love his early movie, "10 Things I Hate About You" with Julia Stiles (perhaps cheesy, I realize, but sweet). That movie could have been really bad, but he was able to get under your skin and make you enjoy time spent watching him and the movie.

R.I.P. Heathcliff Ledger

 

Post a Comment

<< Home